Thursday, October 1, 2026

Hello My Name Is Declan

 

A Name Is More Than Just a Name



Let's talk about names.

Not the name of your Wi-Fi, your favorite houseplant, or the sourdough starter you've somehow become emotionally attached to. I'm talking about your name the one that belongs to you.

For many transgender people, choosing a name that reflects who they are can be an important part of living authentically.

And research tells us that it can make a real difference.

Studies have found that transgender people particularly transgender youth experience lower rates of depression and suicidal behavior when their chosen names are respected across the different parts of their lives.

That's pretty powerful for something as simple as saying someone's name.

A Name Says, "I See You"

Using someone's chosen name communicates something deeply human:

I hear you.
I respect you.
I see you.

For LGBTQIA+ people, that kind of recognition can be especially meaningful after years of being told, directly or indirectly, that who they are is somehow wrong.

For Christians, there's an especially beautiful connection here: love sees people as they are.

We don't have to understand every detail of someone's journey to treat them with dignity.

And we certainly don't need a 47-slide PowerPoint presentation before we can learn someone's name.

Mistakes Happen

Let's be honest. We are human.

You may accidentally use the wrong name or pronoun.

When that happens, you don't need to deliver an acceptance speech worthy of the Oscars.

Just say:

“Sorry. I meant Declan.”

Then keep going.

The goal isn't perfection.

The goal is love.

Names Matter

A chosen name can help someone feel more comfortable in their own skin. It can affirm identity, build confidence, and help people move through the world without constantly having to explain themselves.

And sometimes, a name is simply the name that finally feels like home.

So when someone tells you their name, listen.

Use it.

Respect it.

Because love doesn't always require grand gestures.

Sometimes love looks like something as simple as saying:

“I hear you. I see you. And I will call you by the name that is yours.”

Because where true love is, there is room for all of us to be fully, wonderfully, authentically ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  LGBTQ+ History Month: Why It Matters It’s October, which means it’s LGBTQ+ History Month! 🏳️‍🌈 And no, you don’t need to memorize every...